Friday, August 31, 2012

WWJVF? (Who Would Jesus Vote For)

As you probably know, unless you've been hiding under a rock (and I've been trying)... It's approaching election season and the mud-slinging is in full-force. Now don't get me wrong, I love me some drama, mud-slinging action... but I prefer when it's on Jersey Shore or Toddlers and Tiaras than CNN. When Ronnie yells, "Come at me bro!" I get significantly more excited than when Mitt Romney says, well, anything. In fact, the state of politics makes me sad. And not just the state of politics, but the state of our country's PERCEPTION of politics.

The age of the internet could have... SHOULD HAVE... made us better citizens. More thoughtful voters. But all I ever see posted from people are insanely one-sided articles with half truths mixed in.

To give myself some credentials, or maybe a lack thereof that would actually be more convincing, I've never voted. I know, I know, it's my right, it's my duty. And I should. I fully acknowledge that I should take the time to make an informed decision and vote. I have several issues with this, though.

1.) I am painfully liberal when it comes to social issues and painfully conservative when it comes to fiscal issues... or as I like to call it, I'm a member of the "Don't Tell Me What To Do" party. Don't tell me who to marry or how to manage my body or health or who my money needs to go to... Just don't. You're my government, not my mother.

2.) I don't like the kind of people who run for office. It takes a "special" kind of person to run for public office. I don't even really know how to describe the personality type... but I know that it's something I'm not a big fan of in people. When I look at two people running for office, it's like I'm picking between hanging out with a dude wearing a fanny pack or a Miami Heat fan. I really don't need to know more. If you're running for office, wearing a fanny pack, or a Miami Heat fan... I'm pretty much turned off at that point... Sorry. :-\

3.) This might be the biggest one...
I don't know how/if my faith should affect the way I vote.


I've come to realize that my faith is desperately ingrained in who I am as a person, which is how it should be. But I really struggle what that means when it comes to politics. Does that mean that since I believe that God values every life, I should only vote for a candidate that's pro-life? What if he makes crazy douchetastic statements about rape victims? Do those cancel each other out then?

Should I vote for someone who has the best family and Christian values? I feel like George W. Bush was pretty solid in those areas, but I think I can say with little resistance that maybe he wasn't the best president we ever had.

Should I try to eliminate issues of faith in the election? But if that's not important to me, what is?

I have pretty strong opinions on just about everything... but I really don't on this. I'm genuinely confused how these convictions should mingle. I believe in the separation of church and state, but I don't believe in the separation of life and faith... So you tell me... Who would Jesus vote for?

I probably won't vote yet again this year, imagining Barack in a fanny pack and Mitt cheering on the Heat... I guess I'll just convince myself that Jesus wouldn't approve of our constrictive two-party system to help me sleep at night. :-)

1 comment:

  1. Amen to this...a really loud amen! I agree. I am also confused by the he said, he did slander that seems to be the focus of almost all debates.

    ReplyDelete