Monday, May 16, 2011

Coming out of the closet...

As many of you know, I am Ali Morrison.  I married Nate Morrison on July 17, 2010 and we are currently nearing the completion of year one of living happily ever after.

The idea for the Proverbs 31 Rockstar blog came to me about three weeks ago, when I came out of the closet to my mom....as a non-ironer.  I think she was as supportive as a mother can be...you know...when their oldest daughter lays it all out there.  She didn't utter offensive phrases like, "we didn't raise you like this!" or "where did I go wrong?"...She didn't even cite the long line of ironing woman in both sides of my family.  My mom was amazing and supportive as always.
Don't get me wrong, I own an iron.  Heck, it even made the trek from my parents house to Nate and I's home after I received it as a wedding shower gift from my good friend, Pam.  Why did she get me an iron?  Anyone else might say, "well, Pam is a little bit crazy and a lot bit neat and tidy," but I know the truth:  it was on my wedding registry - I had asked for it.  That's right people, I asked for that iron!  I planned to wield that scalding chunk of metal on a handle like Thor wields his hammer...A sign of my epic level of wife-and-woman-ness.  My sad iron is now sitting in the top of a closet in my house...still in the box...

Let me go back a few years, to my high school days, when ironing was just a distant vision.  My mom and I were listening to her favorite radio station, WCIC, during a car ride when I heard the always perky Lysa TerKeurst's voice on the radio for Proverbs 31 Ministries.

"Mom?"  I asked.  "Why is it called Proverbs 31 ministries?  Like...what is Proverbs 31 about?"

My mother explained to me that Proverbs 31 is about being a Godly woman and wife.  Some time later, I read Proverbs 31.  It was a good read, but it didn't rock my world or anything.  When I got my driver's license, which led to tune into good ol' family friendly WCIC more often, Lysa TerKeurst and her never-motley crew would discuss being a Proverbs 31 woman, wife, and mother on a nearly daily basis.

Now, this next part is fairly inexplicable and a bit embarrassing, but I hear that it's fairly common for women.  I thought, upon marrying Nate, that I would want to clean things and cook for him and produce his babies in mass quantities.  It isn't the first time that I have been bamboozled in such a way.  I remember on the morning of my 4th birthday, the first one where I really "got it," running to the mirror and being shocked at my appearance.  Why was I not taller?  Why didn't I look older?

So, upon marrying Nate, I began to "fake it."  I kept a pretty clean house.  I made really awful dinners on a budget on a regular basis (the worst was probably the chicken tortilla pie recipe that I made with ground beef).  I encouraged Nate to stick it out at his job, because even though he was miserable, it was a man's job to provide.  This period of "faking it" was definitely the worst part of our first year of marriage - for both of us.

Finally, I had no other option but to revisit Proverbs 31 and regroup.  And what I found blew me away.  Even though I had read it in the past, my "mental note" of it made me think that it would read, "Do whatever your husband wants.  After all he is your husband.  So stop whining about him leaving his dirty clothes out, and go make him a sandwich. And put some make-up on before you do that...You look homeless."  I braced myself for that, but what I found was pure beauty and empowerment.

Proverbs 31 tells about an ideal wife, but it's not what a lot of people assume!  I urge you, if you haven't, read Proverbs 31.  It's all about being strong and graceful...providing for your family in the best way that you can.  It is full of inspiration, but not full of rules on how to make a family work.  If someday I want to work and Nate wants to stay home with our kids, that's okay...Proverbs 31 will allow it.

So moving forward, I have created this blog.  Because even if Lysa TerKeurst and clan want nothing to do with me...I am a Proverbs 31 Rockstar...In process.

1 comment: